Wednesday 19 April 2023

How I Got Dragged into Idoru Culture

The doors open, I was ushered to the back. Minutes later, the lights dimmed. Whispers and murmurs around when someone suddenly stood up and started shouting. I looked in bewilderment as he rallies the crowd by shouting names of people I dont know.  Each time a name was spoken, everyone cheered. Soon, the overture starts. The screaming fans, the sea of lightsticks. Ahead, you affix your gaze towards the group infront of you...  Its a start of something new... my first experience in an idol concert...



Again months of inactivity on my blog. Usually I will post after attending an event. Unfortunately I chose not to post any. Honestly I did attend lots of event, visited Japan even in the month of February. But I didnt took much photos and articles wont tell the story much without photos. Readers here knows my articles are usually about idoru events, though I do deviate from the topic from time to time. Could've posted my latest Pokemon GO outing but back to back articles will be stale.

Somehow, I just felt compelled to write a post now. To write about my experience and feels when I first discovered idols and how I got dragged there. The trigger? Well its this.


Yeap, the current trending anime of the week: Oshi no Ko.


Synopsis: Ai Hoshino is a 16 year old idol and Gorou Amemiya is countryside gynecologist and a big fan of hers. Gorou was overwhelmed with shock when he is tasked to oversee a pregnancy who was actually Ai. He resolves to see it through that Ai has a safe delivery.

In a cruel twist of fate, Gorou's brush with a mysterious person results in his untimely death. He is then reincarnated as one of Ai's children.

The anime tone is quite dark but themes regarding idoru and the entertainment business struck a chord. , I rarely watch anime now. Dont even watch current anime flavours like Spy X Spy and Demon Slayer. So to stumbled onto one which gets me so invested is indeed rare. After being overly impressed with the first episode I straightaway searched for the manga online. Dang, its really a masterpiece, although there are draggy parts here and there. The parts related to idoru made me embrace my feels again and I reminiscence on how I discovered them and those priceless interactions. Flashbacks on how I ended up to an eventual numero uno main oshi. The word "lies" is a re-occuring word in that anime. Just one word, and it has a profound effect. I just felt even motivated to write my piece. I'll admit the word "lies" kinda bothered me in a way.

Of course idols always tell lies dont they? Right? I think I shall not draw parallels between Ai Hoshino and my oshis. Perhaps...

Anyways back to the topic. How I got dragged into idols? How did it all started?

2000s. The Starting Point.

It all began during the J Culture boom of the late 2000s.

Maid Cafes. That was the percursor to idoru. I was a J Culture virgin weeboo in the early 2000s. Doing the usual stuff in the weeboo starter pack: Attend handful of cosplay events, watching dubbed animes, collect stuff containing Anime characters, etc. From attending events, I would end up making comrades. The magic of being like-minded weeboos was how we can somehow immediately clicked and mingle as though we are friends for years although we just met yesterday. Thus will inadvertently do activities together, one of them was dragging me to a maid cafe.

Photo from OpenRiceSG


My first experience was shocking. Here, a group of otakus dragged me to some place in Tanjong Pagar and I was greeted by this cute girl in maid costume. "Goshujinsama, Ojousama, Welcome!" Whoooaaa.

Them meidos at the now defunct Akibanana

 

I mean I have to endure loud mouthed trash talking rude aunties / uncles while ordering at my local coffeeshop. But to be treated like an actual master? Not even restaurants do that. Thus I dwell deep, researching everything about maid cafes / meido kissas. A part of the meido kissa experience is having the meidos perform a song and dance for you upon request. Some of the early youtube videos will show  a group of people shouting and doing some funny dance. It was my very first encounter to "wotagei".

 
What are these dark arts these otakus are doing?
Why are they shouting like a crazed maniac?
What are those hand movements?
Are they summoning Diablo?
Whats that song? Mune Mune Kyun? Hatsukoi Cider?


Those were the thoughts I had. Of course "Hastukoi Cider". One of my first taste of idol music. I picked up listening Morning Musume and Buono! 

**Of course during that time, I visit the arcades alot and got my music exposure through those rhythm games, that played a part too.**


 

But yes, without meido kissas, I might not jump into the world of idoru.

AFA and the 48 Girls

What is AKB48??

Around this time, Singapore just started Anime Festival Asia (AFA). And no surprise, they have a popup maid cafe! Maid Cafe called Moe Moe Kyun cafe which I promptly go within a heartbeat. But no idols... yet!

In their future iterations, AFA announced an idol group as guests: AKB48. Opt not to attend, laughed even. Right here is my friend promoting a group of 48 girls doing pop music. "So 48 girls will cram onto the tiny stage of AFA?" I discovered its not all 48 members will attend. Only a few including Watanabe Mayu. Cursed myself now because senbatsu member Mayuyu will not make an appearance in Singapore again. By then I was more into Morning Musume and wanted their concert experience instead. Had settled on making Tanaka Reina and Tsugunaga Momoko as my favourite members, my first "oshis".

Somehow my other friends were mesmerized and want to experience AKB48. I on the other hand wants Yurushite Nyan. These 48 girls were promoted quite aggressively though, I wonder why....


My First Idol Concert Experience


2011 was a start of something revolutionary in Singapore. The group I ridiculed and laughed opened a monthly concert and also a shop + cafe!


I made acquaintances with someone who would eventually be one of my closest bros. He handled alot of media stuffs and got hold of free tickets to the AKB48 concert. Though the group that ends up coming was SKE48. Alright why not? Wanted to see whats the fuss all about.

The concert itself was an eye opener. Its my first real concert experience with an idol group. A guy stood up, shouted a list of names, overture followed and the live starts. And the crowd started shouting. 

"TIGER! FIRE! CYBER! FIBER! DIVER! VIBER!" 

There! Its them dark arts again!
"WTF was that? Why are they shouting animals? Why they shout Fire? Is concert hall burning??"
I see almost everyone getting immersed into the atmosphere. Shouting "MIXES" like they were Harry Potter's magic spells. What is this? OMG. Its quite enjoyable although I kept quiet throughout. Honestly I dont know any of the member's names.

After the concert theres a free handshake for everyone. Shake hands with all the members.
Eh? I will shake hands? Physical contact??
I was shaking. Soon, my first time shaking hands with an idol. Since my group was stuck at the back, we will be the first to go. Nervousness sets in and comes that first handshake.

The sensory feel of touch and hearing that cute sweet voice when she greets you. Gah!!! It feels... nice??? All my nervousness dissipates. Her hands were soft but her grip was firm, I looked up and she beamed that megawatt smile. It was the same thing for the rest. Some members will spontaneously  pointing to your shirt to initiate a short convo. Ughhh! All your senses goes haywire. OMG, I was on cloud nine because the opposite sex dont do that me.

Thats it, I shall wait backstage parking lot to wave them goodbye!


The experience left me dumbfounded and I promptly searched more about Mixes and AKB48. I really dont want to embarass myself. Surprisingly I got more free tickets and ended up attending 3 concerts in a row. And yes, I visited their cafe and shop too. Even end up as friends with the cafe girls.

Photo with a cafe girl whom is now a friend


I researched more about idols and wotagei. PPPH, Romansu, OAD. Terms that were alien were now common to me. Reciting the gachikoi mix isnt a chore now.


 

More idols come into the radar like Dempagumi.inc and PASSPO. Added more groups to look up and follow. I have turned into a DD! Singapore and the region was experiencing an idol boom of sorts. We have groups like QunQun and Tokyo Girls Style, whereas the region like Thailand has Hello! Project groups. What a great time to fall into the fandom!

Ooh! Amihime only visit to Singapore


Tokyo Girls Style visit in 2012

Sadly the AKB48 cafe and concert closed after a year. No more idoru concerts. Sad.

AKB Shop during happier times.


Turning Into An Idol Fan

By then, I was fully into idols. Heard stories of friends having polaroid shots and handphone photos make me wonder if I would have my chance. Some told me about "underground idols" and where the experience is much more better. 

Indeed, my first photo taken with idols would come soon...

It was taken with a group of idols consisted of gravure and adult video stars: Ebisu Muscats 

Harem and haram lol

They had a concert here, and VIP tickets will nail you a group shot. Though most who attended were more interested on their JAV background. Ebisu Muscats were one of the many themed idol groups in Japan. Over there, pops out groups like BISH, Idoling, LinQ. Each having their own genre and flavour. The lists is endless. It was an idol boom!

I would end up flying to Thailand for an event called Japan Festa. Frustration and envy as Hello! Project no showed in my country again. Furthermore, idols coming over dwindled. Me and my fellow Hello! Pro comrades resigned to the fact that we just have to travel out.

Sayumin! Dont close your eyes! I appear on J-Melo to let you know about us!


Thankfully this weeboo/wotaku is employed, I can afford to travel now. Being overseas shows how fandom differs with each country. Their fandom were fever pitch. There were loads of cover groups. What makes its atmosphere amazing were the Thai fans. They were really a passionate lot. So immersive and impressed that I fly to Thailand almost every opportunity. Perhaps thats why idorus took notice and head here instead?

Bonus: Thailand has a Maidreamin outlet! I end up having having the coveted Maidreamin gold card to show. Kinda shows how often I go and how much we spend there. There is a hack to accumulate alot of points, but dont be like a wota I know. Lied about having a gold card lost but didnt event obtained it in the first place.

Flaunting my now useless Gold card


Unfortunately tragedy struck, a bombing happened in a shrine close by weeks prior and event was cancelled. It takes a few months for Thailand to recover and their next iteration, Japan Expo will be my yearly affair.

And yes I finally did meet Tsugunaga Momoko and Tanaka Reina in person.

Reina smack in front of me during J Festa

I thirst for more idol events now and ventured out to more events elsewhere. Went to places like Taiwan where I encounter more groups like Idol College, UltraGirls, Pink Revolution. 

Mai Kotone poster at Jack Studio

Since I am financially stable and most importantly debt free, it is time to head to their hometown: Japan!

The first concert in Japan? Of course it has to be a Hello! Project concert. Have to go back to my roots. Sad it was the year which Tanaka Reina will graduate. Good news though she would start a new rock group called Lovendor.

Outside the concert venue with a fellow wota

Next on my list is to head to an event where idols from all over Japan will converge. The event? Tokyo Idol Festival (TIF). TIF is the so called mecca for Idol events. From the mainstream to the underground ones, lots of different groups await you. Sometimes they would invite overseas group too (i.e. WeatherGirls)

Sailor Grandpa awaits you too. Dont ask me why I end up on TV....

However I still need to stick to one group as the main to avoid clashes. I wonder who?


In 2013, a photo of a certain ultra cute idol went viral. Her name? Kanna Hashimoto. Her group? Rev.from DVL. She instantly became one of my favourites. I tried to be passionate fan. Got hold of her CDs, magazines and Photobooks. But no chance to attend her live. Alas my commitment to nation clashed with these events almost every time.

I got ALL Rev.from DVL CDs

 
In 2014, I finally got my chance. Tokyo Idol Festival was open for ticketing to overseas fans. In attendance? Rev.from DVL! TIF2014 was also my first virgin TIF.

Typical scenes at TIF



Yessa! I nailed a photo and handshake with Kanna Hashimoto. However months afterwards due to her rising popularity, it gets hard to meet her in person. She is also pivoting to becoming an actress. Her group, Rev.from DVL no showed in 2015, furthermore her group performs all the way in Fukuoka. 

Kanna and friends!

Its then I realized, idols have a short shelf life. Graduations are something I need to get used to. I yet find one that leaves a lasting impact. With their ace gone, Rev.from DVL will eventually disband.

Yeap its time to find a new group to support. 

Discovering "That Idol"

Ai Hoshino has this recurring theme about doing lies and striking a balance between her personal and professional life. Majority of idols will do whatever it takes to gain your attention. They adopt this unique skill: Fishing. Being overly friendly, initiating the first combo and innocently looking at you while guilt pierce your soul because you dont go their buppan. In the art of fishing, once snagged, its game over. You WILL buy their goods. Afterwards, they will spur you on and end up buying even more. Subsequent visit days later, they forget about you and they restart the cycle. They are like sharks, they can smell if you are a first timer or a newbie. Having encountered these, adopted this mindset of trying not to be overly serious with them.  It takes experience, in time you will learn how to deflect fishing or at least minimize the damage.

Fish fish fish! (photo from ano-chan)

I travel a lot but I wont spend alot on a single member. Then I could never understand why fans like to spend so much nailing the most expensive merchandise like bus tours and 10 secs videos. Wax lyrical about their each and every encounter and gloat to their comrades on how awesome the members are. Why are they so overly dedicated? They knowingly know these are sweet delusions, why so enthusiastic? Why buy loads of cheki when that same amount nails you something tangible like a gaming console? It seems I have yet to reach that level of fandom. Till I met "her".


Dont bother she is not inside this stash. 

If you are follower of my blog, you would know who that idol is. Shall not name her outright because I dont want her name to pop together when people do a search for Ai Hoshino and somehow ended up on this blog (yeap strange things happen!). For now she will be called MY.

TIF2015, alot of things happened.


TIF2015 was where I met her group. Remember I mentioned about the guy who stood up during AKB concert and rally the crowd? Incidentally I was brought to their free handshake by that very person. Talked about a small world! Anyways I paid her no heed. Gears started to move only the next year when Japan Expo Thailand announced their group. I made the MY the member to follow. Why? Coz she sang Hatsukoi Cider before.

It felt like fate as during one of her sets, she threw a towel and I grabbed it. Funny thing is, she was holding another members towel. Did an exchange which also ended up with an exchange with that AKB shouter guy (Its fate I tell you). During buppan, told her she is my favourite member. From then, she would always call me by my name.

The cherished towel


Everything about MY clicked. Usually its due to she loves Hello Pro, so we have common topic to share. What sets her apart from the idols was our subsequent interactions. I posted tweets about her. I dont tag people, imagine my surprise when I saw her likes to my posts. I dont even need to mention her name, she will make the effort like tweets that has her photo in it. I doubt AI (Artificial Intelligence! not Ai Hoshino!) was existent then to do such things. She was also one of the rare idols to reply tweets.

All them stuff I got from her group


Thats when I felt a connection and drawn even more to her. Whenever she has events popping up, I would tweet words of encouragement. Whenever she upload her goods in CHEERZ, would keep pumping hearts to try win it. I would take loads of cheki. I would travel to countries that she would be performing in. I spent money to do facetime. It brings a smile when she calls me by name whenever we meet.

Were those likes and retweets lies? Were her interactions lies too?

It was then I thought all these dont matter. Its the experience that counts. You wont know till you tasted it. You want the best for the people you support.

Why some idols attract more fans than the others? Why some has fans stick to them all the way without changing oshi? Thats your reason why. Some left that lasting impact that you lost all sense of reasoning or finding an an absolute answer to your actions. It just happens.

Its much better than she forgets you outright and you dwelling too much on it. That fear of being forgotten didnt cross my mind, well not anytime soon.


Her last message during a live

MY would end up graduating in 2019. She stops tweeting and created a new instagram account. A year later, she announced she is married. Another year later, announced she has given birth. The likes and tweets all ceased once she graduates. She stopped being involved in the entertainment world for good. No new updates apart from her other instagram which she updates like twice every year. I tagged her on her birthday, no replies, nothing. Just like that, everything just resets back to pre-MY days. It feels as though she doesnt exist anymore. She has went on with her life, me with mine. There is no ill-feelings from my part. Its just that feeling of "Eh, its all over? That's all?"

The journey with that idol is over.

The Idol Fandom Thereafter

Nowadays I am much more tamer. No longer I will travel out of the country just for a group unless I feel like it. Even during my recent Japan trip, I dont go alot of lives especially paid ones. Perhaps due to age catching up. 

I even diverged to another hobby: Retro games.

Droptune!

However connections to past idols dont stop. The latest group I taken a liking is droptune (apart from Ready to Kiss so dont angry ar Ayutan). Thats mainly because they have a senior and experienced member named Ami. She was an ex-LinQ member and she went Singapore before (as amihime)! She graduated once and rejoined another group prior which reshuffled into the current one. This group just debuted too, so naturally attending her event is a must. It seems I am more drawn to veterans than fresh young up and coming ones.


Alright time for my 2 shot with Ami. 



Passed by this member.

I eyed her.

She waved and smiled.

My eyes widen.

"Oh!"

Bought another ticket for this member.

Idol: "Hey!!! Long time no see!"
Me:   "Oh you remembered? I remember you too"
Idol: "Yea! Its been so long!"
Me:    "How are you?" 
Idol:   "Hehe, I'm fine. GENKI!"
Me:   "I am glad to see you again :)"
         "I still remember I last saw you in that group 4 years ago"
Idol: "Hahaha, well not anymore eh?"
         "Wow its been really that long huh?"


Yeap, not everything are lies.


No comments:

Post a Comment