Thursday 10 August 2023

What is a Nakitty? Why Nakitty Channel? Will My Page Die??


Its August and finally I completed something major. I have updated a new logo for both my youtube channel and facebook page! After years of procrastination, somehow I managed to muster enough energy to complete something that would've taken you a day or two. Never underestimate the power of laziness!

To mark this so-called glorious day, lets start a campfire and gather around. Its time for me to tell you the origin and story behind this blog.

A warning, this post is text heavy. 

I try beautify my post with pictures kay so you wont strain your eyes 😝
(That said, I actually completed my new logo way back in June haha)

Previously I had posted about why I jump into idols. This post will be separate as instead will detail the motivations behind my blog and youtube channel creation.

What is a Nakitty? (again 😅)

Is it a cat? Is it an exotic feline? By now, if you are an avid follower of my blog, you would already know the origin. 

Lets have a refresher, this nickname was coined by a friend. Both of us are fans to all things Hello! Project especially Morning Musume. In Morning Musume theres a member named Ai Takahashi aka Ai-chan. Apart from Ai-chan, she has another nickname: Takitty. Friend gave me the nickname Nakitty as an amalgamation of Takitty and my real name. This nickname is what I adopt for my Facebook.

Yeap this Takitty aka Ai Takahashi in J Festa 2013 (Photo from PPJCIG Facebook)


Back then, having a nickname, especially a unique one, is something a young weeboo wants. It makes you stand out and you gain alot of attention (Honestly I cringed when I think back). I wanted to show off that I am a proud Hello Pro wotaku too! Thus whenever I went to events, people recognized me as the one who took photos / videos of events and would address me by that name. The nickname stuck ever since.

So nickname has "kitty". Do I like cats?
Contrary to what people think, my favourite animal isnt a cat. Its the Rhinoceros. Yes! I am not joking. Why? I view rhinos as big majestic creatures. Mythical even (ya know Rhino horns). Its hide and size makes you think of a massive war tank. And it was the logo of one of the strongest (and now defunct) football team in Singapore.

The said club logo

OK, how about pet then?

Well its the hamster. Hehe.

Why Nakitty Channel?


Back in the day, not everyone does videos in events. There are more photographers than videographers. Same as having an unique nickname, I want to do something unique at events. In the early years, I wasnt well versed in photography and I dont own a DSLR. I lament to the fact my photos will turn out blurry, overexposed or noisy. Videos were easier to capture a moment. And it all started with the mini "hello kitty" camera. My first video was this I guess: 






Apart from the usual J Culture fans/comrades, I have friends who are not part of that community in my Facebook. Imagine my surprise when I uploaded my very first video there and it piqued their interest. Expected them to ridicule, but they were awed instead. Things start to really take off when I record videos of actual performers. The feeling of you recording a relative unknown and getting him/her to thank you in the video comment section is priceless. I used to post and tag people on my personal Facebook account. The advantage of this was I can widen my social network. 

I once had and created a Facebook group of like minded people. It was small, like 20 strong. There people will share J Culture stuff and upcoming events. It becomes a meeting point for people and we shared events that we might miss. The group name? Nakitty Channel. I included the word channel to visualise my group as the go to place for entertainment. You know, like a TV channel.

The Creation of the Page, Blog and Youtube Channel


In due time I want to keep events coverage seperate as I was overwhelmed getting more and more friend requests. My Facebook group is exclusive to just members where the public has no access. I was not comfortable sharing info with total strangers. However I would like the general public to see videos that I am willing share publicly too. Soon the Nakitty Channel Facebook page was launched.

Unfortunately the Facebook group shut down quickly soon after. Members want to do the same thing, having a page to cater their own seperate interest groups. Posts and interactions were getting lesser and lesser.  In a way, it was good timing, and the facebook group was disbanded.

Before dedicating one to just strictly subculture events, my videos were uploaded onto my personal youtube channel. Ironic though, my personal youtube channel which I rarely update has more views than my official one. Heck I even got a video that has a million views.

I had a blog way back in 2005. Of course it is now defunct. Another old blog I had was this: http://nakittynyan.blog.fc2.com/

Though if you mention fc2 nowadays, people will think of JAV....

As you can see, its just 2 posts. 

I began events coverage proper in 2012 and settled upon this blog. The blog was to complement the live posts I have on the page. Additionally, doing a blog is like a time capsule for me. I just sieve through the years and months, and relive the events that I attended. Though some of the posts were days or months overdue, mainly because I am not under pressure to provide updates like an official media would. 

Doing Videos and Doing Media

Doing videos was easier then. There lots of free reign in doing things. You can waltz into an event, set up your tripod and start shooting. People weren;t as strict with stopping you. In a way I was glad I start doing videos early. Due to attending these events at every given opportunity, alot recognize me and usually I will have a free pass in videoing an event. A sad effect though was nonchalance towards copyright and people weren't well versed in intellectual property. Anyone and everyone can just plonk a video camera at any artists, some disregard the no photography/no videography rule. It was a learning experience for me too as I mingled with other seasoned official videographers and get an insight on the dos and donts. Nowadays, events can be very strict and people are very conscious. They will politely (mostly) ask you to stop video citing privacy and image concerns.

Taking a step further, I had the privilege of doing media collaborations with groups like RESONATE VISUALS and XDanTheManX. The videos below are one such example of our collaborative effort. 


They share the same vision as me. Creating content from events we attend and share the joy with the people. At its peak, more and more people start their own official media groups. 



The Ugly Side

Alas there are a number doing media as an opportunity to get close with the guests and getting free passes to events. However, when things like this happens, greed takes over especially when idols are involved. I vividly remember an incident involving the persistence of one such group. Not prepared but dying for an "on the spot interview". They just grab someone, a normal event goer, do translation. Heck theres no team at all! Turn out and dressing of the team was not proper, questions were not even ready and nothing was vetted afterwards. The group even has the gall that describe themselves "support media" so they will shirk their responsibilities of doing actual media work. Doing work professionally is something alot lacked. It sickens me to the core whenever someone gloats about "working with idols" but they have jack shit to show for content. I mean, who doesnt like being close and have a working relationship with them. It doesn't hurt to NOT show off and not give yourself a bad name no? Guests wants the media exposure to elevate their status and gain more traction in views and followers. They seek media groups as a means to showcase their talents, not an avenue for some wannabes to gloat and show them as prizes.

Apologies as I am getting way too passionate. Proper media and these artiste deserves more and deserves the best. 

Milcs Homono at one of the events I attended casually


Honestly, actual media work is tough! Theres deadlines to adhere, absolute iron clad rules to follow and also articles to vet. Its not a walk in the park really when the team sends emails to try and nail interviews with guests. Lots of times it gets rejected. But when we manage to nail and interview, the feeling of manage to churn out an article is happiness.

As of now, those honest to goodness media groups I collaborated have folded as is with other media groups I know. Only those veterans and true blue passionate ones still stay on. Actual media is really hard work, thus I resigned myself to just being a casual event goer and do video if opportunity arises.

In all seriousness, my youtube is lacking content. There are a number of events I wouldnt go even if you drag me. Furthermore, they are more media content creators with better reach and better equipment to give the required exposure of these performers. I am more happy to see these creators being unbiased and upload every single performer (bar copyright strikes) to their platform. As mentioned, I am more of a casual event goer than one to go all out now.

Events here nowadays doesnt seem friendly and inclusive too. There were times I was barred from doing something because I am not connected to their staff. Somewhat events have factions popping out here and there, kinda like wrestling lol. Furthermore they have lacklustre content and some old rehashed stuff just to appease certain section of people. Ah well, at least I had fun going overseas like Thailand for my dose of J Pop Culture fun.

Frustrations Doing a Page

Previously I had a team to administer my page. Content is king, and whenever they manage to attend an event which I am absent, will ask them to upload small post/snippet. As time goes by, delegation is a chore. Its hard not potray yourself as an asshole but yet you want your channel to be fresh and to have content. And I am not the kind of person that will keep pestering. Things can go stale and its really frustrating to have articles not getting traction because they post it months after. As of now, only 2 people administer my page. But most of the content, are usually reposts of tweets or articles which is by me.

The Future of My Channel and Page

As of now, I am sparsely updating my page and video. As mentioned, my youtube channel is worst hit because I have not been attending events nor have footages of any. The page and channel will die soon but theres something I wanted to do before I surrender everything. I have alot of pending projects, left hanging due to COVID, bridges burnt or media was lost. If you were observant, I have been uploading videos that were dated years before. I just want to fix loose ends.

There is also a milestone I want to meet for present day events. Once that milestone is reached, I will do an announcement of the channel's closure. Whats the milestone? I am not comfortable in saying it out now, but I would when I am ready. Perhaps what comes after would be diverging from Japan Pop Culture or I do another youtube channel dedicating to something else.

For my page, once that milestone is met, I will shut it down for good. Its amazing that its been close to 15 years since I embraced Japan pop culture. Time really flies, and with it are some regrets too. Alas, it is too late to dwell too much. Instead, its time to focus on the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment