Saturday 6 February 2016

Japan Expo X Tokyo Crazy Kawaii - Part 1 (Akishibu Project & FESTIVE)



Bangkok recently held a massive J-Culture event in Central World. The event is so massive that I have to cut my articles into 2 parts.

This event was supposed to be held last year August. However, 2 weeks prior to the event, Bangkok was hit by a horrific bomb blast which postphoned the event to another date. Perhaps in a show of support and solidarity, the line-up was increased for this event and we have no shortage of idol goodness.



CentralWorld was transformed into a mega Japan culture extravaganza! The stage area outside CentralWorld was MASSIVE as they have the both the Japan Expo and Japan Festa stage, an eating area and a J-Culture booths area.

The Japan Expo goods area

Their food market

The 'Fashion Stage'



Idols invited were Akishibu Project, FESTIVE, Ready To Kiss, Chu-Z and even solo performers like Jonetsu Mariko and Mimimememimi.


Lets do it the Akishibu Way!


First up is Akishibu Project. They were invited by Tokyo Crazy Kawaii and were one of the first acts of the day. Their first showcase was at the Central Stage located inside the shopping centre. I have a soft spot for this group as I only discovered them via a youtube show which kinda potrayed them very inaccurately. (You can see the video here). Apart from that, my closest encounter with them was hearing the songs far away during TIF2015 and a fellow Singaporean wota invited me to their handshakes.

Akishibu at Central Stage


Akishibu at the Meet & Greet area


A background history on Akishibu Project, they were formed somewhere in 2013 by Ichigo Rinahamu (Yeap, that idol from BPM15Q and came down last year!). They were somewhat portrayed and represented as a bridge to both Akihabara and Shibuya culture and thus the portmanteau of their name 'AkiShibu'. Tinge of gyaru and harajuku fashion were evident by their looks (some of them were even gyaru models).

Kera Hinako (Credits to Gash)


Prior to coming here, I decided to make Miyatani Yue aka Yuechi as my favourite member. Was surprised that theres not many Yuechi fans. Most are Hinahi (Kera Hinako), Yunarin (Arakawa Yuna) or Abuchan (Ishikawa Natsumi) fans. Looks like I'm drawn to leader types in any idol group. Yeap, Yuechi is the appointed group leader.

The ever smiling Yuechi


Akishibu Project starts Tokyo Crazy Kawaii proper as they're the first group to perform for the day. Similar to the their live in Manila, Eternal Blue was the first song. Afterwards is Midaregami Fighting Girl, New World and one of my new favourites RESTART! This song is special because theres some towel twirling. And also, members will throw towels at the end of the song!



I was lucky enough to grab hold one. I have rotten luck when it comes to these things, so towel coming flying by, jumped and grabbed! Initially it was Miriniya (Emiri Otani) towel but after trading with some of the fans, I got a Yuechi towel!

Yuechi signed towel!


There have other stage performers scattered at different timings and stage areas. And there's quite alot of freedom as we can freely take photos with them. They would also give out cards with their photos on it. I kinda want to make a point to Yuechi that I am her fan. Quite embarassing that once I proclaim it to her, she would stare at me and asking me 'Are you sure?' Well, I did show her the towel and she was pleasantly surprised.

Shown Yuechi the towel!



The only time Akishibu Project performed outdoors was for the Japan Expo main stage on Saturday. The crowd was really wild, thank goodness I manage to survive and leave area unscathed. Guess being outside exposed them to an even bigger crowd. One of the highlights of the event was being lifted for Yuechi introduction. Oh dear, now everyone recognizes me. So much so that when I took a photo with Abuchan, she points and said I like Yuechi. GASP!

Abu-chan says 'Dont lie! I not your oshi!'


Saorin and Abu-chan making faces


Aftermath of attending all their performance and their buppans resulted in having a deeper connection and even respect to the group. This is the charm of attending idol events, the interaction and conveying of your support. Some idols make an effort to acknowledge fans too (though there are loads of cases where you'll be ignored. Usually because theres too many fans among a sea of people). As for Yuechi, I am very appreciative that she made an effort remembered my name (and gave me tons of cards). Akishibu Project will be next idol to visit again!

Their special cards with members photo on it.



These special cards!



Ah, these cards. They actually have a purpose. Behind each of these cards, you have a QR code. Once scanned via handphone, you will be diverted to a special site. Register yourself via twitter or Facebook and you can enter the special code. Once entered, you will be able to download one of their new songs 'Change the World' and also get a random photo. I was wondering why some members gave me a more than one card, found out that each card will generate a different random photo. Even if the main card itself was from the same member.

Ah! Yunarin card!

Just scan the QR code. Take note of the code above too

Once entered website, enter the code

There! You got a Yunarin photo!


Sharing is caring, and manage to trade some of them photos with fans. All we left was.... Yuechi. Gasp!

Anything Akishibu I get my hands on

Lovely Yuechi! (credits to Gash)




Being in a 'FES☆TIVE' mood


Festive at the Buppan


Another idol group that caught my eye was FES☆TIVE! This 8 member idol group that makes use of the festival theme. Based from the JPOP idol website, they're meant to represent 'Festivals from Japan' with their name is mix of both Festival and Active. Judging from the name, I dare say people who attend their lives will be greeted with a festive carnival like atmosphere.

That hinarin eye contact


Honestly know one song which is this. My wota friends gave me an easy transition to the group. Out of all the groups, they felt like enjoying performing. No wonder it drawn alot to support them.



I had a hard time choosing which one member to support. Some wants me to go for Hinarin (Aoba Hinari) while others wanted me to go for Reia (Shiozaki Reia). Hinarin was very 'friendly' but in the end i settled for their tallest member, Hiyo-chan! (Momohara Hiyo)

Hiyo-chan~


Their songs were full of energy. The wotas too, very entertaining to watch with the calls here and there. But it'll take sometime before I can be full-fledged fan of theirs.


Buppans!



300Baht is around 12SGD


Another interesting aspect of this event was that they have Buppans! Yeap, after their performance you will have a meet and greet session with the idol groups. There you can buy their goods, take chekis and even have a short chat with them. The thing about of idols visiting overseas is that you have freedom to interact with them. Unlike in Japan, where they handshake sessions lasts like 5-10secs at most with the minders eagerly pushing you away. Japan Expo kinda feels like a mini-TIF. You have to go to different stages (thank god most of their stages are indoors and air-conditioned!) and they have different set timings for buppans.


Mirinya peace~





I'll stop here for this part of Japan Expo. Next article I'll focus on the other groups that attended. Most notably, the social idol group notall!

No comments:

Post a Comment