Saturday 25 March 2017

Saying Goodbye: The Disbanding of Rev.from DVL

Giving their final bow in their last MV

In just a few days, one of my favourite groups will disband. Rev.from DVL is special in a sense that I've been following them since their major debut. In fact, I have all the singles releases albeit the digital ones which unfortunately Recochoku blocks. Thus its only fitting I write an article about them before they peform for that one final time.

The one that made me notice this group is a no-brainer. Kanna Hashimoto is the one responsible, with her being declared the "once in a thousand" years idol. That started my fascination with the group. Did some digging and discovered they started out as a talent group under the Active Hakata project.

In all honesty, this was the article that started it all.

Thank You Rocketnews
You can read the source here: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/05/local-fukuoka-idol-breaks-big-across-japanese-internet/. I was mesmerized by the sheer cuteness and charm of this particular idol. Who is Kanna Hashimoto? Where is she from? Why the name of the group is such a mouthful? Thus this article started my foray into the world of Kyushu Idols

Bwahahaha, I am Kanna! I am staring into your souuuullll
Just agree I'm cute!

I later found out Kyushu is home to a motherlode of amazing (and downright cute) idols! In fact I've got a Kyushu Idol guide book of sorts, detailing the myriad variety of idols scattered all around the area. There are 2 heavyweights LinQ and HKT48 currently reigned supreme there, names which are known to wotas nationwide. After that fateful photo encounter, Rev. from DVL certainly doesnt want to lose out!

Look at all the name of groups in Kyushu! Trivia, QunQun went Singapore once!


Some background history of the group, starting off with their name. Multiple sites claimed 'Rev' as the abbreviation for Revolution and 'Reve' which means 'dream' in French. This is not surprising as multiple groups used the word such as 'Ange Reve'. The acronyms DVL stands for Dance Vocal Lesson, linking to their roots as a performing talent group. First started out in Fukuoka as a talent arm for Active Hakata, they became an idol group proper somewhere in 2011. The group has enough notice that they're even invited to Vietnam, way before Kanna Hashimoto gained the current popularity and gave prominence to the group.




Upon intensive research, I gained interest and started to follow them. Their music is typical standard idol fare. The cutesy pop tunes compliments well with their dances. Not too slow and not too intense, though some members notably Miporin do show some degree of athleticism.


First up is finding a member I fancy. Then, I was following Morning Musume's Haruka Kudo thus its a given that I follow a similar short haired member too. Decided on Shinomiya Nagisa aka Nagichon.

Nagisa!

Made a birthday message to her somewhere in 2014


The first time I watched Rev.from DVL perform and in person was during my first virgin Tokyo Idol Festival event. By then, Rev.from DVL has gotten alot of notice. Caught them at the Hot Stage and caught on camera too. Hot Stage is usually reserved for big idol groups and since they just went major and are in the midst of their first single, its no surprise they'll be invited there. Hearing the signature songs 'Ai Ni Kinshai' and 'love Arigatou' live almost brings a tear to my eye.

That year's TIF Hot Stage event. I am caught somewhere there lol



During meet & greet, I was torn to choosing a group containing Kanna or the group containing Nagichon. Damn the buppan! Both groups concurrently having their photo opportunity sessions! I decided on Kanna as she was the one responsible for my growing interest in the group. A sweet and lovely girl who goes "Ah? Ah?" when mentioned I'm from Singapore.

Yuna, Honami, Kanna and Saki!

Rev. from DVL started out strong with singles over singles in the first year and also Kanna having loads of endorsements and featured in numerous commercials. The group also did weekly radio shows and guest starred in variety programmes. However, its evident by riding the popularity of Kanna, the other members didnt receive much notice by the public. Asked anyone, most regard the group as 'Kanna and Friends'. Its not that the group didnt try. Although Kanna was the centerpiece in all of their MVs and CD covers, during lives its a different matter. The other members especially Miporin, Nagichon, Yukki and Yuuna has more talk time and focus. They tried keep things fresh by introducing more new songs and activities as evident in their DVD lives.

Dont believe me? You dont see Kanna in army attire. Here's Yukki and Miki. Its Kanna-less!

Singles that I manage to ship in.
My stack of Rev CDs

No denying is their popular member. Her face plastered almost everywhere

I guess being famous, they gave the 2015 edition of TIF a miss. They did come back again in 2016 but Kanna (due to filming schedules) and Nagichon (feeling unwell) was missing. 2016 was the time I did not manage to see any of their performance apart from their buppan. Go for another short haired girl Yuna since Nagichon is not there. I had a chance to go Vietnam to watch them perform but my reservist schedule clashed. However a friend of mine who went states that there's no photo opportunity. Then they had a trainee member by name of Motono Kyouka, and unfortunately she ceased activities somewhere early 2015.


On May 28th 2016, members Honami and Natchi graduated from the group.

Honami with Kanna

It all comes downhill when during 2016, I noticed that its been months since they have a new single. Their last one was 'Vampire'. Then, they also have a unique way of getting their music. Some of the songs I wanted are inside their digital download instead of their physical copy. You can buy the digital copy at their events in Japan or you can opt to download from itunes or any Japanese online music service. Disbandment didnt crossed my mind as they have a mini unit Rev. from TEENZ consisting of Nagichon, Miporin, Yukki and newest member Airi. They did the collaboration with Calpis and sung the song in a mixture of Japanese, English and Vietnamese. And they have a sister group Rev.from NEXT too!


Rev.from NEXT members



Then comes the shocker: Announcement of their disbandment on 6th February 2017!

The announcement feaured on their main site

The news was quite a shock that their official website crashed. After years of performing with 7 singles under their belt since their major debut, the members decide its time to move on and pursue other areas of interests such as employment and studies. The site state their thanks to their fans for their years of upmost support.

I expected Kanna to graduate instead since its an open secret she wanted to be an actress. Should have known better since the shelf life of idols has not much longevity. Rev. from DVL has been around for close to 8 years and most of their members are reaching their mid 20s. Its inevitable that they'll disband but didnt expect this fast.

Rev during their happier times.

In a symbolic gesture, most of their members adopt the hand circle pose. For instance, this photo was taken before their final outdoor event on 24th March.



One of my biggest regrets was not attending a proper Rev.from DVL live event. Like their one-man and that missed opportunity in Vietnam. However that memory of seeing them during TIF2014 still lingers fresh. Apart from Nijicon and Akishibu Project, Rev.from DVL is one of the rare few I hold very dearly. I have no chekis of any members too, just memories of a group that brought out smiles and cheers whenever I think of Fukuoka.


THANK YOU REV.FROM DVL!


References:
http://www.generasia.com/wiki/Rev._from_DVL
http://www.rev.jp.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment